Get In Shape. Heal Injuries. Balance Life.

They don't call it the lean machine for nothing! While googling pilates the night before my first session I found this:

"Pilates perfects your posture, whittles your midsection and tones your entire body." 

SCORE....but my immediate thought...is it too good to be true?? So I keep reading...trying to find the answers... why people do pilates? What should I wear to my pilates session? What should I expect at my first pilates session?


And now after a truly life changing experience at Aly's Pilates in La Jolla...I want more! I can't stop thinking about that REFORMER! Immediately after and currently (24 hrs later) all of my target areas are sore, but in a good way. When I say target areas I mean my hips, my chimichanga (aka lower abdomen), my buttocks and arms. Hallelujah!

Aly's Pilates in La Jolla Will Change Your Life

Top 5 Takeaways From My First Pilates Session

Top 5 Takeaways From My First Pilates Session1. Wear workout clothes that allow for easy movement 

I went with leggings and a sports bra tank top, they say that form fitting pants are best so that your instructor can see what your body is doing. Form is one of the most important factors in pilates. The reformer is a machine that has you lay on your back so if you have long hair a low pony or high bun works best. Don't worry about your shoes or socks..those babies are coming off. Lululemon on Girard has an abundance of adorable workout gear for any occasion.

2. For your first session private is the ONLY way to go

The fact that I had never tried pilates was nerve racking enough, but the the thought of having to perform those moves in a crowded classroom.....no thank you. One of my favorite parts of the workout was the private and cozy studio, it helped ease my nerves to know that it was just us. The one on one attention was super important to get the right form and they say private lessons are the best way to accelerate your learning and help you get the most out of your training.

If private sessions are too far out of your budget then the large mat classroom is another option. Aly offers private and semi-private classes.



Aly's Pilates in La Jolla Will Change Your Life

3. Challenging workout

I consider myself a somewhat flexible and strong athlete and the best part of pilates was the challenge of working my muscles and focusing on form at the same time. Although I may have only done ten to twelve reps in one set it felt like I worked that muscle group for an hour. The power of pilates is in your controlled movements, primarily focused on your 'core' to build strength, flexibility and endurance. Pilates teaches you to control and balance your body and mind, the key is to focus on the quality of your movement rather than quantity resulting in both a mental and physical workout.


4. It's not as intimidating as you might think

You don't have to be a dancer to do this...I read a lot about how pilates is great for dancers looking to cross train, a conditioning program to improve strength, balance, control, flexibility and breathing. But anyone can do this, Marc was a little hesitant in further aggravating a troubled knee but he can't stop talking about how it has helped him focus on using his muscles not joints. Aly raved about how she has been able to help so many clients heal a nagging injury through her practice.


5. Pilates is for Men TOO!

We know all of the women of Hollywood rave about pilates, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, Sandra Bullock...I could keep going...Chelsea Handler...

But the fact is men are participating too. Hollywood pilates guru Mari Winsor has trained some top stars including Samuel L. Jackson. She says, "celebrities come to me because it works - they know that if they have a roll to do, if they've gotta be in a bathing suit (or less), they know they can come to me and change their body very quickly."

Aly's Pilates is the perfect one-on-one attention where focus and exercise are in full effect as you get a full mind and body workout. Aly was so sweet to share her story with us. Her pursuit for pilates came after a back injury. She shared with us how pilates has changed her life and she hopes to help others looking for the same.

Aly offers one-on-one sessions with a variety of package options. And for a limited time she is offering our blog readers a very special deal!

Aly's Pilates in La Jolla Will Change Your Life


Don't forget to tell her Team SchuCo or Marc and Teresa sent you. Reference our blog post for your discount. Have fun and I hope you get the addiction I feel for a new healthier body on that lovely reformer.

If you follow us on Instagram @lajollarealestate you may have seen our experience first hand, we document all the fun stuff live on IG & Snapchat, check it out:


This boutique pilates shop is located in one of our personal favorite communities the Village of La Jolla. Check out our Realtor Guide here: