Off the beaten path in La Jolla, CA sits the cutest little Cafe I have seen in awhile. Today Team SchuCo brings you our review of Ohana Cafe located at 456 Pearl Street. We drive by this place all of the time and we were glad we finally got to taste their Hawaiian barbecue. Today is the day my friends to let you in on our experience and pictures of Ohana Cafe and why you need to check them out if you haven't!

Yesterday, while I was putting an outline together for this article Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) with Guy Fieri was featuring Hawaiian food...that's the work of my reticular activating system! Happens to me all of the time! It was great because in that episode I learned what Ohana meant. Did you know that 'ohana' means family? And family means that no one gets left behind or forgotten. I love this part of the culture, they are so family oriented!

We like to visit restaurants for review during off peak times so we can get good pictures without lots of shining happy people in them. So today we visited at around 2 p.m. The menu is plentiful with lots of variety, I'll get to that in a minute.

The best part of this Cafe is the adorable decorations and setup, I was particularly in awe with the garage door they had installed on the East side of the building it really added brightness and an open feel to what I would consider a smaller space. It was clean and inviting a great place to relax and grab a bite to eat. We took our order to go, simply because we love having lunch at La Jolla Cove and get some fresh air with an ocean view. They do offer outdoor seating with a very comfortable setting.

Ohana Cafe serves traditional and Pacific Fusion dishes. Not feeling adventurous today I went with the traditional Teriyaki Chicken Plate served with two scoops of white rice and macaroni salad as my side (side options include: mac salad, sumi cabbage salad, seaweed somen salad, and edamame). Marc more adventurous than I went with the seaweed somen salad as his side. Other Plate items include: Teriyaki Steak, Kalua Pork, Kalbi, Coconut or Grilled Shrimp, Grilled Salmon, Chicken Katsu, and Loco Moco. The service was great, the young lady who took our order was polite and friendly and we got our food in a timely manner. The pricing was spot on we spent less than $20 and each got plates. The food was fresh, hot and delicious!

 The chicken was bone-in thigh meat with skin and topped with barbecue sauce, brown meat is usually not my liking and Marc looked at me crazy as I ate the whole thing...so I guess I don't mind brown meat after all, it was yummy! The macaroni salad was tasty made elbow noodles, red onions, eggs and celery. It also came with a simple greens side salad with the best ginger sesame sweet dressing I have ever tasted.

You can check out their menu here. Next time I can't wait to try the Aloha Sliders and Hawaiian shaved ice. They also serve breakfast on the weekends and the French Toast with Hawaiian sweet bread, fresh bananas, macadamia crumble & coconut syrup sounds divine!!

Ohana Cafe caters! They have an Event Planning tab on their site and offer services such as: photo booths, flower arrangements, a photographer and live entertainment.

Huge Thanks to the manager Larry for allowing us to feature and photograph their Cafe!

Pictures from our Visit:











Enough Said!! Go visit Ohana Cafe Soon!