Coping with Stress in Real Estate


Realtor dot com wrote it best..."because of the independent nature of the work, the travails of the business, and the irregular cash flow, real estate is perhaps one of the more stressful professions to pursue." Did you google the meaning of travail?!? Here I did it for you:

Travail - Pretty Intense
Wow!! That's pretty intense...and sometimes it feels like that...BUT...

I do believe the CHALLENGE in this industry is what motivates me, a constant roller coaster, that I'm never getting off. Oddly, I love it. Our mission tagline incorporates "solution providers and problem solvers" for a reason! 

But at times....like now...the eleventh hour, 5 days before the close of escrow when you get that dreaded phone call that the buyer doesn't want to move forward. My heart sinks, my stomach begins to churn and I feel pressure in my chest...but not before taking a deep breath and reminding myself everything will be okay. Hence, this very post and sharing how I cope with the stress. 

If you are a REALTOR or perhaps a buyer or seller dealing with a stressful transaction this post is designed to help you get through it. Sometimes those stress balls just aren't enough!

And if grabbing your favorite snack (Cheez-Its) helps for the moment then by all means...Do It...just don't eat the whole box. 

Disclosure: I'm not a Doctor, I'm a Realtor, writing about my real life experiences and helping buyers and sellers navigate the real estate market. 

This is how we deal with stress. 

Look On The Bright Side

By far the key to our success has been keeping a positive attitude. And I say 'OUR' because my partner, Marc, is a major contribution to staying positive. We are like Ying and Yang, we pick each other up when the other is down.

Trust, its not always easy to see a 'bright' side... having someone to lean on when you need a mindset shift is super helpful. 

Search for the silver lining! Looking for a positive in a negative situation can completely change your perspective and actually shows strength. Mental Health America addresses questions you can ask yourself:

  • How have I grown from this situation?
  • Are my relationships stronger now?
  • Have I developed new skills?
  • What am I proud of about the way I handled this situation? 

Focus On What We CAN Control

Helping Home Buyers & Sellers in San Diego, California
Avoid dwelling on the downers! Do not sit and wallow in your pity party of the century...you gotta keep it moving!! This will take discipline and awareness. Some things are just out of our control...in real estate feeding our pipeline is a constant activity that we can control. 

Instead of freezing cold in your tracks, pouring a glass of wine at noon or perhaps taking a really long nap...get busy, do some farming, or write a blog post...do something that will benefit your business. 

The Greatist features a list: The Only 7 Things You Can Control In Life

My personal Fave: Gratitude - 'a scientific study shows results that a conscious focus on blessings may have emotional and interpersonal benefits. The practice of being grateful on a daily basis will increase happiness & productivity'. (Source)

Take A Break

This one is the most difficult for me....but sometimes completely unplugging is the answer. Go for a walk, bike ride, workout, grab a coffee, read, send out a thank you note, daydream...need some more ideas? Head over to The Muse and get inspired: 51 Things To Do When You Need A Break At Work

Take a break

Products That Help With Stress

I will receive a small commission if you purchase any of these items, your stress will thank you. 






Need help buying or selling your home in San Diego? Contact us anytime!